Saturday, December 13, 2008

Television


TV Journal

November 27, 2008
Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade 30min.
The Errand of Angels 1hr.

November 28, 2008
None

November 29, 2008
Saturday Morning Cartoons (Spiderman and Ninja Turtles) 45 min.

November 30, 2008
No TV

December 1, 2008
Privileged 1hr.
Made 30 min.

December 2, 2008
Judge Judy 20 min.
Desperate Housewives 1hr.

December 3, 2008
CSI 45 min.
HGTV 30 min.

For me, television is a great time to unwind and relax. It helps me get my mind off stressful things and after I’ve watched it for about an hour I’m able to get back to work and keep living my life. Everyone needs some down time and for me that is television’s whole purpose.
When tracking my television watching habits, I’ve noticed that I love watching drama! I can’t get enough of it. I also don’t watch a whole lot of educational programming or the news which is probably not such a great thing, but, as I said before, TV time for me is relaxing time. I don’t really want to be learning during those few precious minutes in my hectic day.

Critiques argue that TV is trying to offend no one because the networks tend to offer programs to the lowest common denominator. On average, I believe that this is true. Most television shows don’t make people think or analyze. They are simply there to entertain. Shows like King of the Hill, a humorous program about white trash people and their lives, Blind Date, a show where people are set up on dates with people that they have never met before and there is usually violence and/or sexual content, and The Jerry Springer Show, where they put dysfunctional people on stage to duke out their problems, are made for the lowest common denominator. These kinds of shows are the norms for television. There are not many programs that are thought provoking and intelligent. However, there are some shows that are smart like Nova which explores planet earth, Myth Busters which uses science and math to solve problems, and Numbers in which the detectives use mathematical formulas to fight crime and solve mysteries. These programs are the exception and not the rule which just goes to show that networks are catering to the lowest common denominators in America.

Television has had the greatest impact on society than any other form of media. It’s safe to say that almost everyone has at least one television in their home. It’s also safe to say that almost every person in America watches at least some TV every single day. While most households have books, magazines, and newspapers, not as much time is devoted to reading these forms of media as is devoted to watching the TV. That gives television a lot of power. Networks put issues on the screen with the use of sound, moving picture, and words. This makes watching television a more memorable experience. Children who can’t read are more likely to watch TV because they can be entertained without having to be literate. Almost everyone enjoys watching television while the same can’t be said of book and newspaper reading and radio listening. Many studies have been done to show that TV affects the way people think and behave because it is such a driving force in our society. The television is the most powerful form of media to date.

No comments: