Tuesday, October 14, 2008


Magazines
The magazine that I chose to analyze is called Antiques and Fine Arts. The groups of people that this magazine seems to attract are those who want to furnish their home with fine art. Since they own homes and are interested in furnishing them with very expensive items, the readers of Antiques and Fine Art are probably wealthy and in their “later” years. These groups of people like the rustic, classic look for their homes. They are interested in new and upcoming artists as well as the traditional artists. They also restore old antiques.

The Effect of the Electronic World on the Magazine Industry
Today, almost every magazine has its own website where its viewers can log onto the website and see sneak previews of what’s in the latest magazine issue. The fans can buy the magazine if they want the full story. I’ve visited People magazine’s website on several occasions to see pictures of celebrities and read about the latest gossip. But after seeing the pictures on the internet, I’ve never had the desire to go out and buy the magazine. I’ve already read what I’ve wanted to read and seen what I’ve wanted to see on the website. Plus, if I was really interested in a specific story, I could find it anywhere on the internet for free. If it is people’s sole purpose, when reading magazines, to get information, then the electronic world hurts the magazine business. But I don’t think that that is the main reason people read magazines. They read them for entertainment. It can be relaxing and it’s always fun to look at all of the bright, colorful pictures. Reading a computer just isn’t the same as reading a magazine

No comments: